I brought the latest postcard to show the Aunties Marion and June down the hall. Auntie Marion said " You could use it for a mask!" and we all tried it on and laughed at ourselves. The now mask needed a little spot for the nose to protrube so I cut a little arch and finished the edge. Wah-Lah - a mask!
"Masquing Our Nap"
Think I'll make some more.
Always liked the idea of fantasy masks.
Our granddaughter Cepeda decided she wanted to try her hand at making a postcard. She found some fabric in her favorite colors and just put it all together on her own. She asked me to add the word love but the design is all hers.
Then with the leftovers and selvedges she quickly did this one:
Okay. Now MY brother needs a postcard. He just had his retina reattached and is still in pain from an unusual kind of proceedure - plus his eye is swollen closed (doctor isn't worried).
This eye postcard has 3D eyelids (should have made one swollen closed - but they're supposed to be my eyes....) much the same as the eyes in an earlier wall hanging titled "Alligator Shoes". Hope these eyes don't creep him out too much. They're kind of "clowny". Oh well.
Here it is:
Wanda Shelton has presented a challenge to whomever wants to take it; it's the Tree Project. Wanda prepared a basic pattern of a tree with only a few guidelines. We make one complete tree any way we want to. When we are finished with our tree, it will be cut into criss-cross quarters. We then will keep only one quarter of our original tree and receive the other three quarters from three different other trees. I think there may be about 25 participants so there should be some interesting results.
Here is my beginning:
The thing I didn't remember before fusing the tree to the background was that it would be sliced down the middle. Therefore, there isn't really a good 1/2 inch seam allowance there. Oh well, I'll make up for it somehow else.
More branches were added (fused) and texture was added using very narrow strips of fabric. Actually the strips were from another project that required strips and instead of opening up the fabric, I just cut the fold right off using about 1/8" to 1/16". Those left-over strips were sewn on using a hemming stitch that leaped over the top every six or so stitches. Kind of couched it on...sometimes piercing the strip.
Next will be the leaves.... and MONKEYS! I'm looking for smallish toy monkeys to add to the tree.
Number 11 was really fun to make - even got that ol' Bart Simpson and his baby sister in it.
BUT - and it's a big BUTT - I JUST MADE A HOUSE CARD!!!! It was #9. What th.....?!
So immediately, #12 - the bird of paradise took shape using some of the already cut-to-shape pieces in the fused ready drawer. Amazing how that makes a person think of a new design. That one only started with the black wing which lay on the backing for a day before more pieces joined in. I took my cue from that black wing and shaped other pieces to follow suit. When all was done, it still needed more feathers in her cap so I just drew them on. Oh well.
Here they are:
#11 - "Feelin' Groovy"
#12 - "Flying High"
One of the next ones needs to have a little different shape. I'll work on that.
I'm a fiber artist with wall to wall fabric in my studio. This year a favored medium is tiles, mirrors and mosaic for Holy Trinity's rain garden. The first part of the mosaic is done so now it's back to doing some wall art and quilts. Also still entertaining as LaDonna Rose of the WILDKATS!
Time to create!