Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Quilt for Carole

My sister-in-law, Carole, is dealing with a cancer so I made a little "nap" quilt (about 66" X 56") for her and sent it on down to Atlanta GA. This is a disappearing nine-patch which is really fun to do. The quilt top was made and then it was hastily layered with the batting and backing and quilted by machine. You won't see a photo of the back --- there is none. There are SCARS on the back. Oh horrors! And it is just fine.

I wrote a little prose to go with it:

The Quilt

The quilt came as a surprise today;

It was all awash with color on the front.

There, on top, were many of God’s creatures:

Zebras and giraffes and tigers

And elephants and monkeys and birds,

And leopard spots in-between.

When it rested over me, it felt good.

And cozy.

And warm.

And comfy.

…and loving.

On the underside there were scars -

Perhaps from a hasty quilting job;

That was okay – they gave it character.

It was nice and soft and fuzzy on the back.

The scars didn’t matter because

This was a quilt made and given in love,

To warm me, soothe me, comfort me.

And there! My name was on the front!

It let me know there was somebody who cares for me

…scars and all.

It did the job.

Sharon Englund

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. AWWWW!!! That is so sweet!
    How much flu medicine were you taking?
    Ha ha! Just kidding!

    And you did it all by yourself!
    You can sing:
    "Alllll byyyyy myyyyseeeeeelf, I quilted it, allll byyyy myyyyseeeeelllllfff...."

    ReplyDelete